Tuesday, 14 February 2017

Review of The Cad and The Co-ed - Penny Reid and L.H. Cosway


Finally! Finally! Finally this book is live. It feels like I've been waiting for it for eternity!

The Cad and The Co-ed is the third book in the Rugby Series by L.H. Cosway and Penny Reid. I just love when author's collaborate. They produce great work. To be unabashedly honest I haven't read any other book written by L.H Cosway other than this series and I have read only 3 books of Penny Reid. Yet, they do make one deadly pair when it comes to this series.
From the title to the story lines this is definitely unique. And I love creative titles, so bonus points to the duo..!

Lets look at




The Blurb:




Keeping a secret this big is going to take lots of balls. Specifically, rugby balls. 

THE CAD
Bryan Leech is a cad. 
Or, he *was* a cad.
No one is quite certain.
Once the quintessential playboy, Bryan claims he’s done with wild parties and weekend benders. No more one night stands leading to mornings he can’t remember; no more binges and blackouts; no more exploits plastered all over the tabloids and rag sheets. According to Bryan, he’s cleaning up his act.
The only problem is, no one believes him.

THE CO-ED
Eilish Cassidy never thought she’d be a mother at nineteen or still in college at twenty-four. Cut off from every member of her family except her favorite cousin, she’s finally managed to put her life back together. Stronger and wiser, Eilish enters her last semester of university determined to stand on her own. Now she just needs to find an internship.
The only problem is, her best option—by far—places her directly in the path of her son’s father, and he doesn’t remember her at all.

THE PLAN
Bryan is determined to prove he’s changed. Eager to settle down with the right woman, he’s got his sights set on the gorgeous redhead who seems terribly familiar.
Eilish is determined to hide her secret. She’ll do anything to keep her child safe, even if that means ignoring her own wishes and desires.
But what happens when Bryan starts to remember? And what will it take for Bryan to convince the girl he forgot that she’s unforgettable?



I was sold by the book cover and the blurb, and the fact that the previous two books in the series were brilliantly written just adds cookie points.
tried to receive an ARC copy, but unfortunately couldn't. Welp! I painfully had to wait till today so that I can read it.

I'd rather re-read the book again, but here's 

My Review:

I was extremely giddy from excitement when I started reading this book and that excitement wasn't quenched at all in the beginning. It was a slow paced great beginning. We meet our hero who is a recovering alcoholic. Actually he's been sober for the past 18 months. 

Bryan Leech. We hardly meet him in Ronan and Sean's book. He is in the background in both the books. So, I was actually surprised when the author duo introduced him thusly. He is not the player I expected. He had good head on his shoulders and is sincerely trying to turn in life around. So much so that he has completely alienated himself from anything reckless and spontaneous.


And then we meet the Heroine. Eilish Cassidy. If you have read the second book The Player and The Pixie you will remember her as the only decent cousin of Sean. When I first learnt that Eilish was to be the heroine I was thrilled. I wanted to know her story.

The book doesn't actually tell us much about how these two met the first time. It primarily focuses on the fast forward five year part.
Now Eilish has a son, who Bryan knows nothing about. And Sean has brought her back to Ireland so that she can be close to him and work as the team Physiotherapist. Now she not only has to endure the constant sexual frustration of being close to Bryan, but has to find a way about what to do with her super powers she found out 5 years ago. 
What follows is a cute, funny story with a happy ending.

What I liked:

  • Bryan Leech. He was not at all what I expected. He was unique, possessed a dry sense of humor and a homebody. Oh lord, a man after my own heart. And he is not at all the asshole I expected based on how these two met.
  • Eilish Cassidy. I loved her. She was cute, shy and had backbone stronger than many people's skull!  She loved and forgave freely.
  • Patrick Cassidy. I always love cute kids in the book. They always make me go 'Aww' and before I realize they've stolen my heart.
  • Sean Cassidy. This book showed a playful and mature side to Sean and I hadn't seen in the previous books. He was busy being an asshole in the first book and too busy falling in love in the second. Oh, and he also plays cupid in this one.
  • The Rugby team. I loved them and Will, Bryan's roommate. Hope he gets his own book.
  • The Mirror Scene. Holy Greek Gods! that was hot. Never considered myself a voyeur, but it was hawt!!
What I could have liked better:
  • The storyline. The first quarter of the book was great. I was having a lot of fun. But, then it got a bit confusing for me. I felt like I was reading without spectacles. Some things were a bit blurry. 
*spoiler* ( I know I'm tempting you to look! but please don't!)
  • Like, Why did Bryan act so stoic in the locker room when Eilish gets to know about the paternity test.
  • What the hell is Sarah. Is she some kind of anti-love demon. I mean Bryan never meets her, she just about encourages him to ruin his relationship with Eilish. And at the end we never get any clarity with her.
  • When Eilish realizes she loves Bryan was as much a shock to me as to her. The scene was just bizarre.
  • We don't get much of Patrick! I wanted more of him..!
  • The way they get over their dilemma so quickly was a bit puzzling. Maybe it was only me, but as the book reached the end I felt left out and confused.

Final Verdict:


On reaching the end of the book I didn't have any regrets. It wasn't as spectacular as The Hooker and The Hermit was. But if you want to read a funny smart and nostalgic book, this one is just waiting to be picked from the bookshelves.

A smart, funny, read, which cemented my belief in love at first sight

Also, as Shah Rukh Khan says in Om Shanti Om. What you want with all your heart, the universe conspires to make you get it! ( Actually it sounds more beautiful in Hindi..! P) )

I give this book: 3.5 Stars..!!



Chao,
Keep Reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment