Saturday, 18 February 2017

Review of One Silent Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

15th book in the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

This is the most awaited book, not. I mean who wants to read a book about a guy who has made the lives of all the other protagonists in the previous 14 book a living hell?
Certainly not moi! But, I curse myself for the day I thought 'Hey, wouldn't it be great if I never read books out of order?' To the next books in the series, due to my self imposed rule, I had to finish this one. And I really really wanted to read the other books in the series! Damn myself!!

But, like always, I should have trusted Sherrilyn Kenyon. This book wasn't as bad as I expected. It was actually rather different and provided me with a whole new perspective. Lets just say it was a bumpy ride I liked!



This book immediately follows Acheron. And if you haven't read the series at all I don't think its a good idea to start with this. Who need the perspective that the other previous books provide to fully understand this one. So, technically if though it can be classified as a standalone, I'd say you rather not read it as one.


The Blurb:


While the world carries on unawares, Stryker, who leads an army of demons and vampires, is plotting an all out onslaught against his enemies—which, unfortunately for us, includes the entire human race. To avenge his sister, Stryker prepares to annihilate the Dark-Hunters. But things go awry when his oldest enemy returns. Enter his ex-wife. Zephyra. Just when he thought nothing could stop him, he's now embroiled in a centuries old war with a shrew who gives new meaning to pain.


It's a very short blurb. I looked up the author's website and couldn't find much anything else. It does not give away much about the story, which is always good in a blurb. As for the cover. Umm didn't like it. It was easily forgettable and did not make an impact which is not fair for Stryker, because he is one impactful male. Even when he is the bad guy most of the times, he has an undeniable magnetic presence which this cover does not do justice to.




My Review:


When I first started reading this book I was actually crossing my fingers. Because, an inner voice in me kept on saying that I wouldn't like this book and I honestly tried my best to go into it with an open mind. But, Stryker just didn't allow.
Even after wondering and questioning about what about this book made me give it 3 stars and not one less or one more, I still have conflicting emotions about it!
See, I'll try to explain how I felt to you as much as I can

Stryker and Zephyra are cruel people with little humanity left. Well, that might be because they are not humans ;). Anyway remember Jared and his cruel master. That master turns out to be none other than Zephyra. She actually revels in torturing him. 
I didn't know how to fell about two anti-hero's in the story. One I can handle, but two? I'll have questionable morality stipulations on that. 

Anyway, Zephyra is sent by Artemis to kill Stryker because he is posing a threat to the Greek gods. Zephyra is more than happy to kill her ex-husband because she still feels the pain of a long ago betrayal. And when I say long I mean loooong. About 11 thousand years. Yeah that's right! You know I used to always curse Kristen Ashley because her second chances romance were all about 20 years later and I felt bad for those 20 years. Now, I have a whole knew respect for her.

But, what each of them don't count on is the residual lust and love they have for each other. Zephyra is forced to confront with her feelings for Stryker, whereas Stryker is just happy to get a second chance with the only woman he ever loved. 
What follows is a delicate dance of seduction while escaping from a deadly enemy.

Now, lets speak about why I didn't like this book enough. 
  • A. See, many a times I felt as though the author was deliberately imposing redeeming qualities for Stryker so that we can accept his non subtle Violet side. He is a murdered who repents. I just couldn't forgive him enough to like him.
  • B. Zephyra. I can honestly say without any doubt that she is most bitchy heroine I've ever encountered. She isn't soft, pliant or any of those things. She is hard, mean and violent. She many be a perfect match for Stryker, but the whole book felt like love story of two villains. Like Voldemort and Medusa together. *shudder*
  • C. Their outlook on the human world was staggering. Okay I do accept I'm being a hypocrite here. If my own human race was cursed by a god to perish at age 27 with not really a life, maybe I would hate the other people who lived happily ignorant lives. But, no matter how I tried I couldn't connect with their ideologies. I respect kindness to righteousness any time of any day.


But, why have I given 3 stars if I couldn't relate with the book you ask? Well that's something I really don't know a right answer to. Maybe because it's a Dark-Hunter book, or maybe because it is actually well written.
I didn't think that it deserved 2 stars just because I didn't like how the characters thought. I tried to put myself in their shoes, but it just didn't fit.
So, 3 stars for a good story, a good try at redemption and Acheron of cource!!


Final Verdict: 


I don't want to repeat all the reasons above
Hence, I give this book : 3 confusing Stars.




Chao,
Keep Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment